After the torrential rains and flooding last week at Southwestern Japan, the government said that the death toll rose to 25 on Monday and the rescue operations underway to save more than 100 in between the thick mud. Around 2,000 Self-Defence Forces (military) members, firefighters and others were engaged in their rescue work in the areas of Fukuoka and Asakura. Both of the two had hardest-hit areas in the disaster.
Even some of the people stranded after the disaster. Some of 150 people still cut off as of Monday evening in Fukuoka and Oita.
According to the report by the Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga, totally 25 people have died while 25 of others unaccounted at least in this calamity. As per the report of Japan Meteorological Agency, the heavy rain is predicted in some areas in northern Kyushu through Tuesday due to the influence of a rain front.
The Prime Minister Shinzo Abe cancelled a visit to Estonia that was originally planned as the last leg of his European tour, which included the G20 summit in Germany, to come back to Tokyo on Tuesday afternoon to deal with the disaster.
Abe will visit Fukuoka and Oita prefectures Wednesday to talk to staff at shelters and local government officials, Suga said.
Schools decided to cut short of the first semester in the affected area and they will start schools after 10 days of summer vacation. It is difficult to communicate with school during these days.
The school principal of Asakura, Mitsuru Sakai, told the students, “We have learned the importance of everyday life. We can’t just be distressed. There may be painful, sad and hard times but let’s look up and work hard for reconstruction and renewal efforts” at a ceremony to mark the end of the semester along with the mark of silence.
Volunteers also involved in the action to recover the affected areas by removing sand and soil from houses.